Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Outreach at the Beacon Day Center

Hello Prospective Volunteers,

I will be doing an Outreach at the Beacon Day Center on January 14th. Our visit will coincide with a voter registration drive. The Beacon is not a shelter, but a day center run by Christ Cathedral Church that opens its doors Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays to allow people to receive a hot meal, take showers, do laundry, seek social services, and more.
Please understand before volunteering for this Outreach, that this is not a "pleasant" place to be. I have been volunteering there on Sundays, and I greatly enjoy it, but when I first walked in, I was intimidated. There is an HPD Officer on duty at all times, and I never felt that my safety was threatened, but I was definitely aware of the grimness of life on the street. I think this is an Outreach best attended by people with a special interest in the Homeless in Houston, or homelessness/social services in general.
Now of course, many of the clients will not be able to get access to library services for lack of address. However, Mike Puccio, who runs the center, assures me that many of his clients do have proof of address, and he will pre-announce our visit so that people can be as prepared as possible.
Thanks.

1 comment:

Central Grand Opening Events Committee said...

January 14, from 9-12 is the time. Let me know if you are interested.