Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Report on Beacon Outreach






Yesterday, Martha, Sarah, Debbie, Rachel, and I, held an Outreach at the Beacon Day Center of Christ Church Cathedral Downtown. The Beacon provides hot meals, showers, laundry service, clothing, and social services to Houston’s homeless and low-income persons. There were also representatives from voter registration on-site that day, and we were able to get a table right next to them. When I planned this outreach, I was unsure as to how much interest clients would have in signing up for library cards. I have volunteered at the Beacon for a few weeks now, and have observed that the primary concern of those who frequent the Beacon is, quite simply, and quite understandably, to eat. Therefore, I assumed I had brought far more volunteers than needed, but thought it would be a nice experience for everyone. I was so wrong! We had a line of people eagerly waiting to sign up before we were even done setting up, and I don’t believe that any of us stopped hustling until we closed up shop. Many of the clients talked to me about how important reading is to them, and how they were very excited at the prospect of being able to borrow books. As expected, many were unable to provide proof of Texas address, in which case we issued cards with a block, to be removed upon proof of address. In all, we signed up 69 people in two hours, and handed out many bags full of library literature. That’s a lot of new library users!!!!!
Before the lunch meal was served, an announcement was made (as is always the case here before meals) for all to join hands and give thanks for all that we do have, and a reminder that, however little we have, we must always extend a hand to help others. The minister who gave the prayer also made a lovely announcement given the occasion, about the power of a library card, and the power of having the right to vote. Everyone joined hands together, both clients and visitors, and it was quite a special experience for all of us.

I want to give extra special thanks to Martha, Sarah, Debbie, Rachel. You guys did an amazing job of reaching out to the clients of the Beacon. Your caring natures were really apparent from your interactions, and you kept smiling the entire time, and, I think, put smiles on many faces that day. I really, really appreciate that.

No comments: