Friday, October 19, 2007

Starbucks Outreach, aka, The Java Librarians




Yesterday, Saima, Claire, Jackie and I embarked on a new HPL Outreach Opportunity--"The Java Librarian." We set up shop at our local Starbucks, at 1100 Louisiana. In two hours, we signed 9 people up for new power cards, and passed out literature to many more. We had some nice conversations with people, many of whom said that they would sign up when they had more time. It made my day when that nice couple who had just moved to town approached us, enthusiastic to sign up for their HPL cards, and so, so thankful that we were there.

We heard over and over again that people are just not aware that HPL Express is open. We MUST do something to change that. Perhaps a couple of huge HPL Express banners around the Jones Bldg. with an arrow pointing to JIB. People are wondering what’s going on, and we need to keep them excited about Central.
Big, big thanks to the Java Librarians for all of their creativity and enthusiasm.

2 comments:

Saima said...

I would like to pursue the Java Librarians as a concept a bit further - let's explore other venues around downtown, perhaps on a Saturday? I would also like to try this at Allen Center food courts, other Tunnel destinations as well as City Hall.

Central Grand Opening Events Committee said...

Allen Center is in the plans!! I spoke with bldg mgmt., and they are fully supportive.